Office of the Flood Commission
FEMA Federal Emergency Management Agency
NFIP National Flood Insurance Program
The NFIP is a Federal program enabling property owners in participating communities to purchase insurance protection against losses from flooding. Participation in the NFIP is based on an agreement between local communities and the Federal Government that states if a community will adopt and enforce a floodplain management ordinance to reduce future flood risks to new construction in Special Flood Hazard Areas, the Federal Government will make flood insurance available within the community as a financial protection against flood losses.
CRS Community Rating System Program
The National Flood Insurance Program's (NFIP) Community Rating System (CRS) was implemented in 1990 as a program for recognizing and encouraging community floodplain management activities that exceed the minimum NFIP standards. The objective of the CRS program is to reward communities that are doing more than meeting the minimum National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) requirements to help their citizens prevent or reduce flood losses. Since Doña Ana County is a CRS Class 8, property owners who live in the unincorporated areas are entitled to receive a ten percent (10%) reduction in FEMA-backed flood insurance.
For more information, please contact Orlando V. Fierro, CFM, or visit FEMA's website at www.fema.gov.
CTP Cooperating Technical Partners Program.
This is a federal program where local floodplain management agencies team up with FEMA to update and maintain accurate flood insurance rate maps. The key objective of this program is to increase local involvement in, and ownership of, the flood mapping process.
- BLM Bureau of Land Management: Main Home page
- BLM Las Cruces Bureau of Land Management: Las Cruces Office
- CLC City of Las Cruces Home page
- DFIRM Updates - Mapping status and progress
- EBID Elephant Butte Irrigation District
- FEMA Federal Emergency Management Agency
- FEMA Map Service Center - Flood Maps, DFIRM information
- Doña Ana County LEPC Local Emergency Planning Committee
- NMFMA New Mexico Floodplain Managers Association
- NMDPS New Mexico Department of Public Safety
- NPDES National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System
- NRCS Natural Resources Conservation Service
- OSE Office of the State Engineer
- DHSEM The New Mexico Department of Homeland Security and Emergency Management